Nature Trust of the Santa Monica Mountains
Objectives & Activities
- Preservation of land through acquisition by donation
or purchase from willing sellers.
- Restoration of natural areas and watersheds
through cooperative planning such as the Nicholas Canyon Watershed Restoration
Plan. Link in progress
- Assisting public agencies in acquiring additional
areas for parks and open space within the Santa Monica Mountains.
- Protection of beaches and shoreline through habitat
preservation, restoration, and assisting other agencies with cleanup
and protection measures.
- Volunteer trail maintenance projects.
Nature-Based Education to Promote
Harmony between Nature and Mankind
- Educational and wellness seminars and retreats
exploring the relationships between the environment, human health,
and personal responsibility.
- Field trips for schools and other groups.
- Docent-led nature walks through the Malibu Nature
Preserve, nearby parks and beaches.
- Organized outdoor recreational programs for children
and adults to promote harmony between humanity and nature.
Wildland-Urban Interface Research
- Supports and furthers research on man's interaction
with nature and living in greater harmony at the wildland-urban interface.